Various names have been used for this pant on Clayport. Historic England call it “Pant Outside Westgate House”, but Tate calls it “Clayport High Pant, formerly Kidland’s Well”. He dates it from 1755, when Kidland’s well was converted to a pant. This means that this is the oldest surviving pant in Alnwick (St Michael’s Pant dates from 1759).
The pant is in the form of a large, squat pillar in local sandstone. There is an Iron spout on the north side, with an inscribed panel above it, and the remains of a broken trough below. On the east side there are signs of repair, and remains of a metal bracket. On the west side there is a wooden door fixed with screwed bars. The top is covered with cement holding broken glass (presumably to deter vandalism). The round finial on top appears in old pictures, and is mentioned in the listing entry, but has been missing for some time. Thanks to the Freemen of Alnwick the finial is now back in place.
According to Tate: The court records for 1683 record that “The Common Wells and Pant of Claport Warde are out of repair and choaked with filth and dirt which ought to be cleansed by Claport, we amerce each Inhabitant 2d.” “The inhabitants of the same ward to clean them before the faires of Alnwick next on paine of xijjs. iiijd.”