Northumberland County Council Conservation officers in the Environment and Design Team can be contacted <here>.
For home owners
Thinking of buying one of Alnwick’s historic buildings?
Conservation areas exist to protect the features that make a place special. What does it mean to live in Alnwick Conservation area?
Listed buildings are considered nationally important so have extra legal protection. What does it mean to live in a listed building?
- From Historic England.<here>.
- From Northumberland County Council <here>.
- Preparing a Heritage Statement <here>.
- Historic Timber Windows <here>.
Our Local Planning Authority is Northumberland County Council.
- Do I need planning permission? <here>
- Search, view and comment on planning applications <here>
- Planning guidance from Alnwick Town Council <here>
- Improving energy efficiency, reducing carbon emissions, thermal upgrading of windows and maintenance of traditional buildings<here>.
For independent business
The visual appeal of the town centre is critical to attracting visitors and retaining a vibrant business community. The Civic Society was proud to produce Alnwick’s first Shopfront Design Guide, and we are proud to be associated with the development of a new guide. This is in line with national policy and it provides the Town Council and the Planning Authority with a set of clear criteria for assessing and determining applications for planning permission and listed building consent. It can be downloaded <here>.