Mr Stafford gave up his home so that we can continue to enjoy Bondgate Tower. So far we’ve been unable to find out anything else about him. Can you help? Once there were four gateways into the walled town of Alnwick. Pottergate Tower was rebuilt in 1768. Clayport Tower was removed in 1804 to improve … Continue reading The lost house of Mr Strafford
Narrowgate House, at 31 & 33 Narrowgate, is widely known as General Lambert’s House, and was listed under that name in 1977. But there never was a General Lambert. In 1811 John Lambert, a solicitor and property developer bought two small properties on Narrowgate. Dating from the 16th or 17th century, number 31 was probably … Continue reading What happened to General Lambert?
George Tate’s two volume history of Alnwick still remains the most important source for local historians. In describing development of the town Tate was discovering and recording its history. In his other activities he was keen to both preserve and improve the town. For that we recognised him in Some Alnwick Heritage Heroes. George was … Continue reading Paikes Lane / Fenkle Street
This graffiti can be found around the middle of the west parapet of the Lion Bridge. It reads “Fox’s Leap, Au 2 1867”. The story spread quickly. It was reported in the Shields Daily News and the Newcastle Chronicle on August 3rd, 1867. A LEAP INTO THE RIVEN ALN BY A MILITIA MAN The Northumberland … Continue reading Fox’s leap, 1867
John Wesley visited Alnwick more than thirty times, preaching from the Town Hall, the Court House, and the Market Cross. A small Methodist Chapel was built in 1752, but thirty years later plans were developed for a new preaching house, in what we now call Chapel Lane. The foundation stone was laid by John Wesley … Continue reading The scarecrow